Back in Action

From the time I learned to read, I read everything I could get my hands on for many years.  I can’t read very often now, but that’s a different story for a different time.  I absolutely love language in all its dimensions and permutations.  And reading taught me how to write, which I have also done for as long as I can remember.

I tried to write fiction for many years.  I come up with characters, concepts, a voice.  But my writing is flat.  I fabricate dialogue that is stilted and unnatural; my characters are one dimensional, my story lines zig and zag and never go anywhere.  In my mind, if you can’t write fiction, you’re not a writer.

And along came the internet, and with it blogging.  It appealed to me right away, but what would I write about?  Seinfeld had already beat me to the punch on my typical observational humor.  If I wanted to continue my gainful employment I couldn’t write about work, which takes up at least 75% of my time, and throngs of people were already writing about TV, which consumes the remaining 25% of my time.  So I went along, blogless.

Writing-wise, I hit the jackpot when I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  With a good dose of my usual sarcasm, I blogged my way through a mastectomy, chemo, and breast reconstruction.  It was my joy and my salvation.  And somewhere along the way, it finally dawned on me that writing non-fiction is writing too.

But all good things must come to an end. Before I knew it I was cured and patched back up, which was great for my health but lousy for my writing. I’ve wanted to start a new blog for a long time, but I was uninspired.

Several months ago I had the good fortune to reconnect with a friend and former colleague, a brilliant woman whom I have long admired for her array of talents, including writing.  As it turned out, she had retired from legal and become a consultant, and a hugely talented blogger.  Her blog, http://waitingforthekarmatruck.com is the very essence of Mimi, and a real treat.  Smart, funny, thought provoking, moving and a simply great read.  It was also just the kick start I needed to get me thinking about my own worldview and experiences and how I could express myself as a blogger.

So today, I officially kick off my blog.  I hope that my musings impart some form of wisdom, a good laugh, or just a change of pace.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Back in Action

  1. André Bräcker says:

    Don’t worry about your oldies getting stuck in my head. The songs from your childhood are all way before my time. Don’t know a single one of them, so no danger of them getting stuck in my head 🙂

  2. Lisa says:

    Is there any way to be notified on Facebook?

  3. Bonnye J Geller says:

    Loved reading your blog, my first. I look forward to many more in the days to come.
    It scares me when you call yourself middle aged. If you think your communication is foggy now, just you wait!!!!! We will be married 49 years on Saturday. It is all about hearing, seeing and snoring……
    Love ya,
    Bonnye

    • jfoerhirsch says:

      Thank you! Congratulations on 49 years! I think all those beautiful grandkids of yours keep you young!

      • Bonnye J Geller says:

        Not sure if they are keeping me young or making me old fast. We had all six of them at one time or another over the course of the summer. Jack at 22 months is by far the biggest devil we have. Cute as button though.

  4. jfoerhirsch says:

    You certainly did! This whole “build-a-website” is new to me. Trying to figure out how to add that feature!

  5. mimi says:

    If I provided the impetus for you to do this, then I am happier than you can ever imagine!! You’re going to rock this blog-o-land…One thing though – there has to be a way for people to sign up for notifications to read your blog – and I can’t find it anywhere?

I Love To Hear From You!